For those who aren’t familiar with SYTYCD it stands for So You Think You Can Dance and it’s my first Reality-TV category post and since I do not watch a lot of reality shows this category might be quite light though. I plan to do a Project Runway post after this season ends (and Australia’s version as well) and when The X-Factor USA version turns out to be awesome I’ll even post about that. And maybe I’ll be even writing something about America’s Next Top Model if I have the mood for it. Since American Idol died over these past seasons I do not plan nor accidentally watch that ever again. I wouldn’t expect anything about Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives of various cities – I do not think they are entertaining nor interesting.
SYTYCD as the name says is all about the dance and finding out who is America’s favorite dancer. Over 8 seasons this show has given me a lot of inspiration and filled up my iTunes with amazing songs. Besides that, I find the personalities of the dancers refreshing and much more interesting than some of the characters in movies about dancing (like Step Up for instance). Season 8 had a lot of new talent and funny personalities, one of my favorite since the auditions was Sasha Mallory (the runner-up) – Melanie Moore won and there was no surprise that the top two (for the first time) had two ladies
since it was said from the beginning that girls were more talented this season.
Coming up to season 8 there were some seasons where the show lacked personality but after they decided to bring back previous contestants as all-stars and Travis Wall as a choreographer everything seemed to go up hill. This is probably the reason why season 8 had so many guest judges from Christina Applegate to Lady Gaga, from Neil Patrick Harris to Carmen Electra (who was surprisingly good at it). Katie Holmes was the last guest judge and well, she failed (by far the worst of all the guest judges) – so the final panel was a bit disappointing. Other than that the show had some great moments and even though Kat Deeley isn’t loved by all I still like her and think she deserved that Emmy nomination for best host. I’m no expert but looking at the results I would say that the worst choreographer was Tyce Diorio (just that a lot of the dancers were eliminated after they did his routine) and the most successful this season was by far Sonya Tayeh! As for contestants, the winner and the third place Marko Germar were never in bottom 3!
Since the show is mostly visual I’m gonna put up some videos you can watch and even if you’re not a fan of dance I see no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy these – you have nothing to loose. I tried to make a top 5 but I got all nostalgic so I decided to add 8 videos – because it seems just right and appropriate for season number 8.
• 8 – Best broadway this season was Spencer Lift’s piece for Melanie and Tadd Gadduang, B-boy who got the forth place.
• 7 – Nappytabs weren’t the best this season but they still did a lyrical hip-hop piece for Melanie and Marko that was memorable.
• 6 – Sasha gets together with all-star Mark Kanemura and choreographer Sonya Tayeh and magic happens.
• 5 – Marko had amazing moments with Melanie but I also liked him in Sonya’s piece with Caitlynn Lawson.
• 4 – Melanie and Sasha dance to another Sonya’s piece that I loved – that woman was on fire this season!
• 3 – Melanie and all-star Neil Haskell take on Mandy Moore’s (not related) contemporary and fly!
• 2 – By far my favorite pairing and dance: Sasha and all-star Twitch dance to Christopher Scott’s hip-hop routine.
• 1 – Melanie’s top 6 solo after which I think everybody knew she’d be the winner. A nice end to a very different kind of post – hope you liked it.